Traveling has always been a significant part of our life. But documentation for traveling has been the same. Everyone carries those bulky documents and printouts.
But this scenario is changing. Paperless travel is now possible thanks to document scanner apps. So, let’s look at how document scanner apps are changing the travel sector from start to finish.
What are Document Scanner Apps?
Document scanner apps convert physical documents into digital ones. This is done using the built-in camera of smartphones and OCR technology. These scanner apps use advanced image processing algorithms to data capture, enhance, and finally convert the images of the documents into digitized files or multipage PDFs.
The QuickScan app allows users to connect images of documents by simply pointing a device camera. The app then detects the document edge and adjusts the perspective.
The process slowly started with a flatbed scanner that evolved into a portable option. Previously, traditional scanners needed physical connections to computers and special scan software.
One of the most significant document scanner app changes has occurred in the travel industry. Airlines, hotels, and transport services have started accepting digital copies of boarding passes, reservations, and ID proof.
What are the Challenges in the Travel Sector?
Even with multiple technological advancements, the travel sector relies intensely on manual processing and is paper-based. These processes are undoubtedly functional but can be time-consuming and may have errors. Some challenges that persist in the travel industry are:
- Paper tickets and boarding passes: Most travelers still prefer paper-based tickets and boarding passes. Airlines themselves prefer paper documents. But these can get damaged or lost when traveling.
- Check-in forms in hotels: Remember those check-in forms you must fill out when checking into a hotel? Think of all the information you have added to them. Now imagine those getting lost.
- Travel itineraries: Travelers connecting with travel agents often provide itineraries in physical documents. These often lead to clutter, leading to travelers missing out or losing a page or two.
- Paper maps: Tourists in new destinations still opt for paper maps. These are unreliable as they can be outdated and often thrown away after use.
- Physical brochures: Travel agents distribute marketing materials and physical brochures. This leads to more paper waste and is often discarded without getting the message across.
What Benefits do these Apps have in the Travel Sector?
Now that we understand the travel industry’s challenges with using paper-based documentation, we can stop and appreciate document scanner apps’ solutions. Some key advantages provided are:
- Scanning and submission of documents: Travelers no longer need bulky documents or pages and pages of their details. With their smartphones and a simple document scanner app, everything can be available with a simple button press.
- Reduction in check-in and waiting time: When you go to check-in, imagine pulling out page after page of bookings. These can all be reduced with document scanner apps. Again, the verification process becomes more accessible as airline staff do not need to repeatedly re-check details.
- Enhances accuracy: If you have a difficult-to-pronounce name or ineligible handwriting, manually writing details will always lead to errors. Instead, having digitally scanned documents means the chance of human error becomes negligible.
- Digitally storing documents and travel itineraries: You can have a stress-free and organized experience without needing to check and re-check documents repeatedly with cloud stored documents.
- Sustaining and reducing paper waste: People are becoming more environmentally conscious. This means they prefer digital copies to paper ones. This is the same for travel.
- Easy access and convenience: Document scanner apps have the convenience of providing easy access to travel-related documents. Travelers can use these documents offline or online without looking through multiple folders. All their records can be stored on Google Drive or their phone to help share items faster.
- Sharing and collaborating: Having your documents, travel details, itinerary, and even business cards – all within a click of a button is perfect for sharing with family members or service providers over email or different messaging applications.
Success Stories in the Travel Industry
Document Scanner apps are now slowly gaining momentum in the travel industry. So, let’s take a look at some success stories in the travel industry:
1) Delta Airlines Check-in using mobile passport scanning:
One of the major players in the American aviation industry, Delta Airlines, was one of the first to recognize how vital document scanner apps can be for the industry—the setup to implement a check-in process using these tools. By collaborating with U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Delta integrated a scanner mobile apps that allowed passengers to scan their passports on the app and provide a seamless check-in experience. This reduced the check-in time passengers spent at counters while eliminating the need for manual data entry.
2) Expedia – Simplifying travel itineraries and documents:
The Expedia Group was one of the initiatives from the travel agency sector to understand the value of document scanner apps. The Expedia travel app has an inbuilt feature where travelers can upload their itineraries, flight details, and hotel confirmations.
3) Marriott International – Digital check-in with scanner apps:
The renowned hotel chain Marriott International integrated document scanner apps in their hotel operations to improve customer experiences. The company app is readily available in all app stores. It offers guests digital check-in options and the option to receive a digital key without physically checking in. Also, guests can scan documents or upload their identity documents on the app to make the check-in process faster.
Implementing and Integrating Scanner Apps in the Travel Industry
As the aviation industry integrates and transforms itself with document scanner apps, one of the biggest contenders in the scanner sector is QuickScan. With its latest standout annotation feature, users can do more than before. They can now enhance and personalize any documents without needing physical copies.
The QuickScan annotation feature helps users mark, highlight, add notes, or even paste segments on scanned images in the app. It turns the entire scanned file document into a canvas where users can make changes, highlight important aspects, or even write down reminders. So, say goodbye to note apps. The steps to implement the feature are:
- Access – Users can access the annotation tool once they download the QuickScan app and capture a document. The tool is generally in the form of a pen or marker.
- Use – App users can draw lines, circle details, and add notes or signatures to the scanned document.
- Undo or clear option – The annotation feature even has an undo or clear option to help modify errors or mistakes.
- Saving the edited document – Once the scanned document annotation is completed, users can click on the save button and store it as a digital PDF file or Word document on Microsoft Word for later use or share it.
By integrating the QuickScan app and the annotation feature, users have the added benefit of:
- Adding personal touches to the document to make it more organized or highlight important documents or segments.
- Help collaborate travel with companions by detailing notes about specific places to visit or things to do.
- Users can annotate their travel plans when planning vacations and mark out everything they want to do, see, or even eat.
- Annotations help as memory aids that allow users to write down ideas in the scanned document immediately.
- The QuickScan app offers a seamless sharing experience to help share details with family, friends, and travel partners.
What are the Future Trends and Innovations in Scanner Apps?
Documents scanner apps are now becoming a crucial part of the travel industry. But even more advancements are entering that can improve user experience, such as:
- AI-induced document recognition – Document scanner apps are slowly integrating generative AI to help identify and categorize documents to help compartmentalize all the details required.
- Translating in real-time – Document Scanner apps are now looking to develop the technology to incorporate real-time translation tools into their apps. This would help travelers scan foreign documents and then translate them on the spot to reduce the chance of communication errors.
- Using Machine Learning – Advanced machine learning algorithms can help document scanner apps predict the travel plans of users based on their previous details.
- Collaborative sharing options – Document scanning apps can allow users to share documents easily with relevant parties like service providers.
How does the document scanner app work?
Document scanner apps use mobile devices or smart device cameras to capture, edit, and share images of documents digitally.
Are scanning apps as good as scanners?
Some users may complain that scanners are better than scanning apps. This is because scanners offer specialized features that scanning apps might not have. But these apps are now becoming the go-to for personal or business scanning.
What is the alternative to scanning documents?
The alternative to scanning documents is taking photos or carrying a physical copy. Both might not be very beneficial as the images become hazy, or the physical copy can be destroyed.
Why use a scanner app?
Scanner apps offer:
- Digitizing documents without the need for hardware
- Capture documents on the move
- Organizing digital files and more
What are the advantages of mobile scanners?
Some of the advantages of mobile scanners are:
- Portability – Scans can be made by using a smartphone app
- Convenience – No need for bulky machines or cables running all around
- Speed – easy and fast capture of documents
- Sustainability – directly contributes to reducing the amount of paper used
Document scanner apps are slowly but surely changing how people store their documents and papers during travel.
Digital scanner apps are now empowering travelers to click, digitize, and store all documents, from ID cards to travel documents to boarding passes, with just a few taps. And one of the leaders in this app evolution is QuickScan. With the instant capture, annotation, and personalization of document features, users can now expand their horizons and improve their travel plans.